Find out my high season tips to make your easy and trouble-free planning for your Split and islands adventure.
Visiting Split in:
We all know that these two months are peak tourist season in Croatia. I have read many dos and don’t s about visiting Croatia in July, particularly in August. Split of course was not an exception.
The most of visitors complain about the summer heat, some because of high prices and sometimes because of the unkindness of the locals (like waiters or officers at information desks).
Some tourists have declared to have a feeling that locals seem to be reluctant and tired of foreign guests. And the most of all this complains happen to be in August.
Usually the most visitors grumble about the crowds as in these months a lot of tourists from all of Europe (Germans and Italians in August), move down on the beaches and popular coastal cities such as Split and Dubrovnik.
I don’t have intention to eliminate them but at least I’ll try to find a way to avoid them where possible.
By some estimates the following year (2015), 9 million tourists will visit Croatia and the majority will be in high season, from mid July to mid August.
Weather forecast for these months you can find on my Split weather page.
Some Useful Tips
- Don’t travel to Split and Dalmatia islands in these months without booking your accommodation much more in advance. (start from end of March or April).
- You can stay in a hotel but you’ll pay a lot more money.To feel more friendly atmosphere just find an apartment if you’re looking for a home away from home. Split is ideal place for this.
- No matter how you are arriving in Split, by air, bus or by ferry, make all bookings in advance. For local ferry connections you won’t be able to book in advance online, but keep yourself updated with Jadrolinija seasonal and off seasonal ferries schedules if you are planning island hoping. (You will find all on this website).
- Do bring cash with you. (all major credit cards are accepted and there are ATM machines, but ATM’s has a high surcharge ($5). My advice is if you use them, raise higher amounts.
- As beaches in Split and islands are not sandy ones (except some like Bacvice), bring with you a kind of reef sandals. Beaches with sea urchins are not rare so be wise.
- When in July and August sun-hat, sun glasses and sun cream are a must have.
July And August Split Events
Split Summer Festival
The festival program for 2015, can be checked on their website where you will be informed on time with possibility to book your seats online.
Split Summer Salsa Festival
What is better than salsa dancing in the hot days of August. If you happen to be there in August (the first half of August, bring your dancing shoes for 3 days of Salsa workshops as well as various parties at venues throughout the city. Read more on Split Summer Salsa Festival.
Diocletian Days 2015
If you are interested in the town’s historical background and want to participate in a cultural event that is unique for the region, you can visit Split during the famous Days of Diocletian.
These day will return inhabitants and their guests more than 1700 years ago. From the mid of August Roman army will march through the streets of Split. The program for 2015 can be found on this website!
This event brings to mind the time when famous Roman emperor Diocletian walked the city. Roman legions will align on the city streets and squares, the emperor Diocletian in carriage followed by the legions will pass from the Promenade (Riva) to the Peristyle.